There are several ways apartment or condo dwellers can conserve water wisely within their individual units. Here are just a few simple ideas…
- Toilets and laundry are the major water users in most homes (view statistics on average water usage). Install low flow toilets, or the flapperless toilet model, to help conserve water.
- Choose Energy Star or Water Sense labeled products when replacing appliances, faucets, showerheads, toilets, etc. to save water and energy.
- Check pipes and faucets for leaks because even small leaks can waste significant amounts of water. Water leaks are not only a waste of water, but also of the energy needed to heat the water.
- Turn off the water when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Try to keep your shower to five minutes or less.
- Install low flow showerheads and faucet aerators that use no more than 2.5 gallons per minute at maximum flow (for showerheads) and 2.2 gallons per minute maximum flow (for faucets).
- Check for a leaky toilet because it can waste up to 200 gallons of water per day. Toilet leaks can be detected by taking the tank cover off and placing several drops of food coloring in the tank. You have a leak if you see the coloring in the bowl after a few minutes. Most leaks involve the rubber flapper or shut off valve found in the tank. Repair as soon as possible.
- View other water conservation tips.