AIRE – Arlington Initiative to Rethink Energy began in 2007 to undertake the goal of emissions reduction in Arlington County. We set an ambitious target for emissions reduction with a full understanding of the challenge it represents: reduce Arlington County government’s greenhouse gas emissions by 10% from 2000 to 2012.
The key elements of the AIRE program include:
- Reduce the County’s own greenhouse gas emissions from our operations, through energy saving retrofits, the addition of hybrid and clean fuel vehicles to the County fleet, installation of LED traffic lights, tree planting, and more.
- Recognize, assist and encourage businesses to reduce emissions and energy needs.
- Encourage and educate residents on reducing their energy use.
- Increase recycling in County facilities, homes, and businesses.
- Work with other localities around the region and nation.
- Keep the community engaged and updated.