On June 15, 2013, Arlington’s County Board adopted the Community Energy Plan (CEP) as a new element of the County’s Comprehensive Plan, and approved the accompanying CEP Implementation Framework as an administrative guide for staff implementation of the CEP. The CEP sets an ambitious goal of reducing Arlington’s greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 75% by 2050, from 2007 baseline levels. To achieve this ambitious target, the CEP lays out broad goals and policies in six goal areas:
- District Energy
- County Government Activities
- Education and Human Behavior
Please contact Richard Dooley, Community Energy Coordinator, if you have any questions or comments on the CEP or its implementation.
To become a sustainable community, Arlington must rethink the way it uses, generates, and distributes energy.
Energy is fundamental to our lives and livelihoods. Energy use keeps us warm in winter and cool in summer. Energy powers technologies that preserve food, provide health care, and entertain us. Energy powers many of our transportation options, and energy is essential to economic transactions. Without energy, our modern economic system would collapse.
Still, our present use of energy leaves us vulnerable to multiple risks:
- The burning of fossil fuels is a major contributor to global climate change, which threatens to alter our economy and way of life.
- Severe weather is causing more frequent electric power outages.
- Rising demand for electricity is straining our regional power grid.
- International affairs cause significant fluctuations in the price of electricity, oil, and other fossil fuels.
- Rising global demand and shrinking availability of fossil fuels dictate long-term energy price increases.
This CEP seeks to mitigate those risks by (a) improving the reliability of energy sources by localizing energy generation, (b) reducing price volatility and the long-term cost of energy through efficiency and diversification, and (c) reducing the environmental impact of energy use through efficiency and cleaner sources of energy.